The Gawler Heritage Collection

The Gawler Public Library manages the Gawler Heritage Collection on behalf of Council.
The Gawler Heritage Collection comprises of three unique collections:

The Gawler Institute Archives Collection: which consists of the administrative records of the former Gawler Institute.

The Gawler Local History Collection: which began with items that were collected or donated during the researching and writing of the history of Gawler and its region by Dr Derek Whitelock. New items are continually being added and it is stored within the Gawler Public Library. The contents of the Collection are included in the Library’s computer-based catalogue with call numbers prefixed ‘LH’. It includes books, some oral history recordings and transcripts, and some video recordings. Many of the items are available to researchers for use within the Library.

The Gawler Civic Collection: which comprises of Items given to or purchased by the Gawler Council by virtue of its Civic role.

While these collections are primarily paper-based (including photographic records), there are also many historical objects such as portraits, paintings, maps, plans and textiles.

Library Gawler Heritage Collection silver plate       Library Heritage Collection clock
This silver plate and three hundred acres of land were presented to Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler when he left South Australia after serving just over two-and-a-half years as Governor of the Colony.
          (Town of Gawler, Gawler Heritage Collection)
 
 Library Gawler Heritage Collection field glasses  
These field glasses are believed to have belonged to Sergeant Frank J. Scott, 10th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force. They may have been used by Sergeant Scott during World War One.
          (Town of Gawler, Gawler Heritage Collection)
 

This handsome clock has been keeping time in the Council Chamber since 1898 when it was presented by the Council to the ratepayers of Gawler. The inscription reads:
Presented to the Town of Gawler by the Council of 1898. Frank D Harris, Mayor. Councillors W H Cox, C G Rebbeck, T A Waters, C A Horne, R K Thomson, T J Wilkinson.
            (Town of Gawler, Gawler Heritage Collection)

 

 


After Hours Contact Call 08 8522 9211
 
43 High Street, Gawler East SA 5118
Tel: 08 8522 9211
advanced search
Font Size Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size