Lodging a Development Application

Please take the time to read this page if you wish to lodge a Development Application. Council will not be able to accept your application and/or considerable delays may result if all of the items listed below are not provided up front.  Therefore it is in your interest that all information is provided and application fees are paid when you first submit your application. 

Information Required with your Application

All Development Applications must include a completed and signed Development Application Form.

As a minimum, you must provide the documents listed below with your application:

  • Current Certificate of Title (no more than 12 months old) – can be obtained online here.
  • Site Plan (minimum scale 1:200)
  • If a structure is proposed - Floor plan and Elevations (minimum scale 1:100)
  • If applying for Building Rules Consent – All relevant Technical Specifications (eg manufacturer’s span tables, engineers report etc)
  • Payment of Development Application fees (refer to Development Application Fees section below)

If you are building a minor residential structure (shed, carport, verandah etc) please go to our Basic Requirements for Plans page which explains in greater detail the information that you will need to provide with your application.

Information required for other types of development (dwelling additions, swimming pools, commercial development, regulated tree removal etc) will vary greatly depending on what is proposed. For information about what is required for other types of development applications, please visit our Development Fact Sheets page.

You may also include any additional documentation that will give Council a greater understanding of the proposed development (for example photographs, letters, arborist reports etc).  Please note that, depending on the type of development, Council may request further information from you during assessment of your application.

Development Application Fees

All Development Applications require payment of Development Application Fees. Fees will vary depending on what is being proposed and various other factors. These fees can be difficult to work out if you are not familiar with the application process. If you do not know what fees you need to pay please contact Council’s Development Admin staff on 08 8522 9211 (press 1 when prompted), or if you wish to pay your fee via credit card you may complete this form and tick the box granting Council permission to deduct the appropriate fees from your credit card.

If you are aware of the fees you need to pay for your Development Application you can enter these fees and your credit card details on this form.

Submitting your Development Application

Click here to access our Online Development Application Lodgement Page

You will need to have your completed Development Application Form and all relevant documentation listed above saved on your computer before you use this facility. Please note that if an application is received electronically after business hours it will be deemed to have been received the following business day.

If you need assistance lodging your Development Application electronically, please use our Electronic Development Application Lodgement Guide

Alternatively, you may post your Development Application to:

Town of Gawler
Development Services
PO Box 130

Otherwise you may lodge your application in person at the Town of Gawler Administration Centre located at 43 High Street, Gawler East.

For further assistance with lodging a Development Application please call our Development Services staff on 8522 9211 (press 1 when prompted) or email planningadmin@gawler.sa.gov.au.

Other Considerations

Amendments to Existing Development Applications

If you are submitting documents for an existing Development Application, such as amended plans, please use our Additional or Amended Information Upload Page.

Residential Code Applications

If you are applying for approval under the Residential Code, please use the Residential Code Application Form instead of Council's Development Application Form. For more information on the Residential Code please refer to the State Government's Residential Code Guide.

Building over Easements

Building work is generally not permitted over easements.  If you need to construct a building over an easement, approval (in writing) must be obtained from the authority that has control of the easement.  The Certificate of Title will detail which authority has the benefit of the easement.


In some instances, an encumbrance specifying special building requirements may be registered on the Certificate of Title.  These requirements may include the use of certain building materials, fencing designs or distances from boundaries.  You should check the Certificate of Title to ensure you are not restricted by such an encumbrance. 

Please note that Council does not enforce private encumbrances between landowners and developers.

Useful Links

Development Application Form and Fee Schedule

Development Application Fee Schedule

Development Application Credit Card Payment Authorisation

Online Development Application Lodgement Page  

Electronic Development Application Lodgement Guide

Basic Requirements for Plans (for minor domestic structures)

Planning Information Sheets

89 Murray Street, Gawler SA 5118
Tel: 08 8522 9211