Dwelling Additions

The building of a dwelling addition will require Development Approval from Council.  An application for a dwelling addition is made by submitting a Development Application form, plans, supporting documents and fees to the Council for assessment.  If you have limited design and building construction knowledge, it is advised that you use the service of professional Architect or Draftsperson to aid in the preparation of documentation for this form of development.  

Planning Consent

An application for planning consent is assessed against the Development Plan, which is the policy document used to guide the growth of Gawler in an orderly manner.  The matters considered include the siting of the addition, its impact on the streetscape and adjoining residences. 

If the application complies with the requirements of the Residential Development Code your application may not require planning consent, subject to providing all information required.

If the application does not comply with the Residential Development Code requirements when designing the proposal for a dwelling addition the following guidelines must be incorporated:

  • § A dwelling addition must maintain a minimum setback of 4.5m (5.5m to Garage) from the front property boundary and 2m from the secondary street frontage if located on a corner.
  • § Consideration to protecting the privacy of adjoining properties. Designs must ensure that no proposed windows or decks have direct view into the rear and side yards of adjoining neighbours. Any windows that constitute an overlooking problem will be required to be awning window frames with the sash being hinged at the top and moves outwards at the bottom and contain fixed obscure glass to a height of 1700mm above floor level (or provide an alternative method of screening in the form of closed design screen panels).
  • § No greater than 50% of the site is developed and that the existing dwelling maintains private open space at the rate of 20m2 total site area.
  • § A supporting statement detailing that only a direct relative of the residents of the principal dwelling will occupy the dwelling addition.

Building Consent

An application for Building Consent is assessed against the Building Code of Australia.  To allow for both planning and building assessment to be completed in a timely fashion the following information needs to be included with the completed application form.

Certificate of Title (Obtained from the Lands Titles Office).  This is needed to show ownership rights, accurate land identification and all possible legal restrictions over the land.

Site Plan  (3 copies please) showing:

  • § Allotment identifications, boundaries, dimensions, easements, roads;
  • § Positions and dimensions of existing and proposed building(s), structures, driveways, fencing, trees and the trees trunk circumference at 1m above the ground, retaining walls, relative to the site boundaries;
  • § Distance between the proposed building work and other buildings on the site and the boundaries;
  • § Method and direction of disposal of roof stormwater;
  • § North point;
  • § Site levels and floor levels relative to top of kerb. Gawler Council standard Engineering requires all finished floor levels to be a minimum of 300mm above the top of kerb; and
  • § The purpose for which the proposed building is intended to be used.

Elevations (3 copies please)

  • § An elevation drawing of all four sides of the proposed dwelling addition. The drawings shall show the height of the proposed building and structures, including materials and colours to be used in construction.
  • § Site level differences from the boundaries of the site.

Floor Plans (3 copies please)

  • § A floor plan of the proposed building showing dimensions, intended use of rooms, floor area and window and access arrangements as well as the location of hard-wired smoke detectors.

Technical Drawings (3 copies please) showing:

  • § Wall and roof framing layouts include racking force bracing, tie down provisions and truss computations if applicable.
  • § Details of structural connections drawn to a scale of not less than 1:20.
  • § Wet area detail and other building rule requirements as necessary.

Specifications (3 copies please)

  • § The building specification lists the materials and workmanship required by the Building Rules to comply with the Development Act and Regulations 1993.
  • § The Master Builders Association or Housing Industry Association standard specifications are satisfactory provided the irrelevant clauses are deleted and they are filled out with the owner, builder and site details.

Engineering (3 copies please) showing:

  • § All dwelling additions require an engineer's soil investigation and footing report.
  • § The engineer's documentation should also state the design wind speed for the site and also include any structural calculations that are necessary (eg. roof or floor beams, retaining walls, etc.)

Indemnity Insurance (required for all domestic building work over $12,000)

CITB Levy (required for all work over $15,000)


Building work is generally not permitted over easements.  If you need to construct a building over an easement approval must be obtained from the authority that has control of the easement.  The Certificate of Title will detail which authority has the benefit of the easement.

Encumbrances and Land Management Agreements (LMA)

In some instances, an encumbrance or LMA specifying special building requirements may be registered on the Certificate of Title.  These requirements may include the use of certain building materials or fencing designs or distances from boundaries.

After Hours Contact Call 08 8522 9211
43 High Street, Gawler East SA 5118
Tel: 08 8522 9211
advanced search
Font Size Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size