Gawler Railway Electrification Project
The $615 million electrification and modernisation of the Gawler rail line will deliver a faster, cleaner and more reliable service, delivering an electrified network through Adelaide from Gawler to Seaford.
Once complete the electrified line will support increased capacity and future growth for development along the rail corridor and in northern Adelaide.
Lendlease has been appointed as the head contractor for the design and construction of the entire line between Adelaide and Gawler.
Detailed design works commenced in early 2018 for the Adelaide to Salisbury section and will now incorporate the full line to Gawler.
The project delivery model will adhere to the South Australian Industry Participation Policy which supports local jobs and local contractors.
A funding agreement has been reached with the Commonwealth Government with the State Government contributing $395 million and the Australian Government - $220 million.
The project is scheduled for completion late 2020.
The benefits of an electrified Gawler line include:
- Clean and green high performance trains delivering an improved customer experience;
- Better reliability and safety; and
- Encourage people to take public transport and leave their cars at home.
Scope of Works
- electrification of the Gawler rail line and Dry Creek Railcar Depot;
- pedestrian level crossing enhancements; acquisition of 15 additional three-car electric trains (introduced in stages following completion of the electrification works);
- replacement of the signalling system (including Automatic Train Protection provision); and fencing of the rail corridor for improved safety.
Jobs and Local Industry Participation:
Employment opportunities on the Gawler Rail Electrification Project will be available through NorthHub, an onsite employment, skills and training centre established by Lendlease.
NorthHub was initially introduced to facilitate employment on the Northern Connector Project and will now be extended to include the Gawler Rail Electrification Project.
To register your details for updates about employment or local business opportunities that will come online closer to construction, please visit www.northhub.sa.gov.au or call 1300 731 071.
Enquiries on this project can be directed to the Project Team via:
- Phone: 1300 080 834
Project Construction Works Updates
Updated detail will be provided when required.