Skip to main content


​Laws for Burning in the Open

If you burn without a required permit you will be breaking the law and will be fined $300, under section 34 of the Environment Protection Act 1993, by Council compliance staff or South Australia Police.

Burning in the open is a common practice to reduce the risk of bushfires, manage agricultural land and to dispose of agricultural and forestry wastes.

To obtain a permit from the Town of Gawler fill out the EPA Burning Application Form.

For more information regarding burning visit the Environment Protection Authority (EPA)