Murray Street Upgrade Project - Stage 6
Thursday 7 February 2019 - IMPORTANT WORKS INFORMATION
Road Closures this Monday Night 11 February
The Murray Street Stage 6 project will have final surfacing works to complete the asphalt commencing 7pm Monday 11 February 2019 until 7am Tuesday 12 February 2019. Detours will be in place as per Detour Map A with Variable Message Boards providing advance notice and advising that Gawler is 'open for business'.
Date: Monday 11/02/2019 to Tuesday 12/02/2019
Time: 7pm to 7am
Intersection Closure: Murray Street South, Julian Terrace
Detour: Seventh Street - Murray Street South - High Street - Calton Road - East Terrace
Detour Map: Detour Map A
Tuesday 29 January 2019 - IMPORTANT WORKS INFORMATION
Road Reconstruction works and Traffic Detours
Murray Street South intersection up to and including the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge will be closed on the following days for major road reconstruction and surfacing works:
- Friday 1 to Monday 4 February - Road Reconstruction Works
- Monday 11 to Tuesday 12 February - Final Road Surfacing
During these works, traffic restrictions and detours will apply, click Here to see map. Traffic controllers and signage will alert motorists to the changed traffic conditions and detours with advance notification provided via the electronic Variable Message Signs. Pedestrian access to local businesses will be maintained during normal business hours for all detours. Vehicle access to Julian Terrace, Murray Street South and Murray Street (from Murray Street South to Lyndoch Road) will be maintained via the detours. To manage the impact on the township and the wider community the works will be undertaken during both day and night over a continuous weekend. Two detours will be in place during these works.
For further details relating to the above road closures please click Here
‘Open for Business’
Prior to these works.
Council will continue their communication with the wider community ensuring to raise awareness that Businesses along Murray Street, Julian Terrace and Murray Street South are ‘Open for Business’ during this time. This will be communicated several ways including signage and Council’s web page.
Staying in touch with you
Town of Gawler is conscious of the impacts the construction may have on businesses and services and will continue to work closely with stakeholder, businesses and building owners as well as the wider community. Regular contact is made to provide updates about the project and the next stages of construction.
Council thank you for your continued patience during the delivery of this important project.
Thursday 20 December 2018 - IMPORTANT WORKS INFORMATION
What we’ve been doing
Since commencing construction in October 2018, the following works have been undertaken:
- Setting up of the site compound facilities in Murray Street South adjacent the SA Water Depot.
- Establishing traffic control including variable message signage (VMS).
- Utility services investigations and survey set-out.
- Demolition including the removal of the southern kerb and footpath from Murray Street South to Julian Terrace and the island outside the Southern Hotel.
- Installation of the new pedestrian ramps and refuge island at Murray Street South.
- Commencement of utility service pit lit adjustments.
- Installation of new stormwater infrastructure including pits, pipes and road crossings.
- New concrete kerb along the Southern side of Murray Street.
- Preparing for new street lights along Murray Street, and traffic signals at the intersection with Julian Terrace, and
- Installation of the scaffolding under the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge to commence the bridge upgrade and remedial works.
What is happening now?
In the lead up to the Christmas and New year period, the project team is continuing with the following works:
- Concrete kerb construction on the northern side of Murray Street.
- Reinstatement of vehicle crossovers.
- Upgrades to the street lighting and traffic signals at Julian Terrace.
- Bridge structure repairs and remedial works underneath the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge, and
- Temporary works and clean-up for the temporary site closure over Christmas and New Years.
Site closure - 20 December 2018 to 2 January 2019
The project will temporarily cease construction works from Thursday 20 December 2018 through to Tuesday 2 January 2019. The current lane restrictions will also be lifted, however, to ensure the safety of traffic, cyclists and pedestrians through the project area, a 40km/h speed limit will be in place during the site closure period.
What to expect in January and February 2019:
Construction activity will resume on 2 January 2019 with the following activities scheduled:
- Construction of the final footpaths to the Northern and Southern sides of Murray Street (similar finish to the main street of Gawler Township).
- Continuing with the installation of new street lighting along Murray Street.
- Continuing with the new traffic signals to the intersection of Murray Street & Julian Terrace, and
- Continuing the upgrade and remedial works to the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge.
The Gawler Mill Inn Bridge upgrade and remedial works will be a significant activity occurring and will involve the following:
- Refurbishment of the bridge structures including strengthening of existing elements.
- General cleaning, painting and restoration work above and below the bridge.
- Road safety barrier installation and footpath balustrade treatments.
- Upgrading of the road and footpaths, and
- Installation of bird netting to the underside of the bridge.
To enable the works on top of the bridge, a full lane closure and restricted accesses will be required over a period of approximately 4 weeks. These temporary traffic restrictions will commence on approximately 14 January 2019, and will be undertaken at night from 7pm until 6am, from Monday through to Saturday.
In addition, cleaning and re-painting of bridge handrails, works on the bridge footpath and final construction of footpaths to the Northern and Southern sides of Murray Street (from Julian Terrace to Murray Street South) will be undertaken requiring short-term footpath closure and detours for a period of up to two weeks on each side of Murray Street. Pedestrian detours will be in place and access to businesses will be maintained during business hours.
In late January and early February 2019, major road reconstruction works along Murray Street from the intersection of Murray Street South up to and including the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge will be undertaken. These works will be managed to minimise disruption to all road users and the local community including businesses. Further information about these works and will be provided in January 2019.
Staying in touch with you
We are conscious of the impacts the construction may have on businesses and services and will continue to work closely with stakeholder, businesses and building owners as well as the wider community.
We will continue to make regular contact with you to provide updates about the project and the next stages of construction. Should you have any questions about these works, please don’t hesitate to contact the Murray Street (Stage 6) Upgrade Team via email or phone.
• Email: Murraystreetupgrade@gawler.sa.gov.au
• Telephone: 1300 556 780
For more project information, please visit the project website, at: www.gawler.sa.gov.au/murray-street-upgrade. These works are subject to favourable weather conditions and we will notify you if they are to be rescheduled.
The Murray Street Upgrade Project is a key component of the Gawler Community Plan 2017-2027 and Town Centre Urban Design Framework as it creates a more efficient and safer transport, traffic and pedestrian network in the main street of Gawler. The project will also improve various modes of transportation and promote regional economic development by improving amenity and accessibility of the Town Centre and business precinct.
The next stage of this project has now been approved by the Council for construction and awarded to BMD Constructions who will deliver the Murray Street Upgrade Stage 6 Project.
The Council has allocated $3.71M to delivering this project from its intersection with Murray Street South through to Julian Terrace as well as an upgrade of the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge itself. The project is being jointly funded through the Australian Government’s Bridges Renewal Programme ($660K), the State Government administered Special Local Roads Program ($600K) and the Council ($2.45M).
Broadly, the scope of the roadworks will involve the following;
• Pavement, stormwater, kerb and gutter, lighting, footpaths, medians, line marking, signage upgrades;
• Signalised intersection upgrade at Julian Terrace;
• Improved pedestrian crossing points;
• Improved landscape character into the Gawler Town Centre.
Similarly, the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge works will;
• Enable the bridge to be safe, functional, and support the existing and growing road freight and traffic movement into Gawler and the region into the future;
• Improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists and traffic on the bridge. Works are scheduled to commence in mid-October 2018 and completed by April 2019.
We understand access, noise and traffic restrictions can have an impact on road users, businesses and residents. These impacts have been a key focus in planning the works. The works program has been designed to minimise the local impacts wherever possible. The Council will be working with the community to ensure all issues are managed and everyone is kept informed about the project’s construction. Enquiries on this project can be directed to the Project Team via:
• Email: Murraystreetupgrade@gawler.sa.gov.au
• Telephone: 1300 556 780
We thank you for your cooperation during the delivery of this exciting project for the Town of Gawler.
The next stage of the project further south of the Gawler Mill Inn Bridge to the Tenth / Seventh Street intersection is currently subject to further grant funding being obtained to assist in its delivery. The Council is currently pursuing grant opportunities for this component of works.