St George's Anglican Cemetery
St. George’s Anglican Cemetery at Cheek Avenue, Gawler East was designed by Canon (then Reverend) Coombs in 1861 on four acres of land which was purchased for £55. The centre plot contains the remains of Canon Coombs. Many of Gawler’s early Anglican settlers are buried in the surrounding plots.
The first section of the cemetery was consecrated in April 1864 by Bishop Augustus Short. The first curator was William Barrett. George Loyau, in his “Gawler Handbook” (1880), stated that the cemetery was ‘well laid out and kept’ and ‘admired and approved by visitors’. He also commented on the attractiveness of several of the tombs and monuments. In August 1995, the Archbishop of Adelaide consecrated the rear half of the cemetery land for use as a lawn cemetery.
This is a public and non-denominational Cemetery, available to all - without exception.
All enquiries to Curator - Fr. Simon Bailey 08 85222534 or 0403742602.
Burial Register and headstones from 1861 St George's Anglican Cemetery can be found at The Gawler History Team website - Click Here.