Customer Service and Online Requests for Service

We encourage the making of such requests and complaints. Requests and complaints allow the Council to improve its service delivery and fulfil its Customer Service Charter. This page is designed to assist you to determine the proper process to follow when making a request or complaint to the Council.

Online Request for Service

Request for Service is an application to have Council or its representative take some form of action to provide or improve a Council service.

The Town of Gawler considers requests for service in accordance with its Requests for Services Policy and its Requests for Services Procedure.

Council’s Online Customer Service Request system provides residents with 24/7 access to lodge a request

The online system allows residents to lodge requests for a variety of service needs such as road maintenance, street tree pruning, graffiti removal, as well as information on Council services.

Once a request has been lodged a unique identification number is issued allowing the customer to quickly seek further information if required.

All requests are allocated to the appropriate Business Unit within the next working day. If your issue is an emergency or an urgent request, please call Council’s Customer Service Centre on 08 8522 9211, this line is open 24 hours, 7 days.

If your concern does not fit into the above or below categories, or if you simply wish to share an idea or viewpoint with the Town of Gawler, we are happy to receive feedback provided to any officer of the Council in person, by phone or in writing.

The Council’s Customer Feedback Form is available in the Downloads tab below.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and assists us to fulfil our Customer Service Charter.

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with a service which has, or should have, been received.

Where Council has failed to meet the normal standards for a service which has been, or should have been, delivered the Complaints Policy and the Complaints Procedure apply.

When making a complaint, please provide the following information in writing:

  • A description of the problem and how it came about; and
  • If you consider there is any way we can assist in rectifying the problem – suggestions as to how this can be achieved.

Please use the Council’s Complaint Application Form.

Where ambiguity exists, Council will deal with a matter as a request for service, rather than a complaint, in the first instance.

Council also has a Complaints Handling Under Council Members Code Of Conduct Procedure.

Internal review of a Council decision is a process established by legislation (section 270 of the Local Government Act 1999) that enables a resident to request that a Council reconsider all the evidence relied on to make a decision, including new evidence if relevant. The Council will apply its Internal Review of a Council Decision Policy and Internal Review of a Council Decision Procedure upon receipt of an Internal Review of a Council Decision Application Form.

Internal reviews of decisions are only appropriate where a particular identifiable decision is in issue. Internal reviews of decisions cannot provide immediate resolution of grievances. For these reasons, Complaints and Requests for Services are generally more appropriate processes in the first instance.

The Public Information Disclosure Act 2018 came into operation on the 1 July 2019 and replaces the SA Whistleblowers Protection Act 1993. Under the new Act there are two types of information that can be received. These are:

Environment and health information
Information that raises a potential issue of a substantial risk to the environment or to the health and safety of the public generally or a significant section of the public.

Public administration information
Information that raises a potential issue of corruption, misconduct or maladministration in public administration.

For more information click here