Building Information

Information and Legislation Applying to Building Work in South Australia

Payment of the CITB Levy is required for all development applications for which the estimated value of the work exceeds $40,000.

The CITB Levy can be paid here:

Please note that the CITB levy can not be paid at Council offices.

For further information please refer to the CITB website

The Development Act 1993 requires the Building Owner to lodge a copy of the Certificate of Insurance with the Council before the building work contractor commences any work on the site. Where the contract has been signed before the application is lodged, the Certificate of Insurance shall accompany the development application.

All persons with a building work contractor's licence are required under the Building Work Contractor's Act 1995 to take out a Building Indemnity Insurance Policy on any domestic building contract with an estimated value of $12,000 or more, for which Development Approval is required. The insurance is intended to protect the Building Owner against non-completion of the building work and/or failure to rectify faulty work if the building work contactor dies, disappears or is declared bankrupt during the construction period or for the Five Year Structural Warranty Period.

Under the Development Act, private certifiers can perform the same duties as councils in relation to the building rules assessment function (and associated tasks). They assess proposed developments against the Building Rules, assign classifications, grant Building Rules Consents (but not a Development Approval), impose conditions under which the building work must be constructed (if necessary), issue essential safety provisions, and may issue certificates of occupancy.

Further information on private certifiers can be found on the following web page:

The Building Work Contractor's Act 1995 requires people carrying on a business as a builder or sub-contractor to be licensed.

The Building Work Contractor's Act 1995 can be via the following link Building Work Contractors Act 1995 .

Information regarding Builders Licences & licensing may be obtained from Consumer and Business Services.

Many home owners struggle with deciding to be an owner-builder and sub contract the work themselves, or to utilise a licensed builder to undertake all the work for them. In considering the options, owners must make themselves aware of the various forms of legislation that may govern their project. Some useful information on this can be found here.

Council must be notified of various stages of the building work including commencement and completion of the work, and others as advised with approval notices.

Council has an Inspection Policy which ensures that inspections of residential building work are conducted in accordance with the Development Act 1993. The Policy does not provide that each new dwelling will be inspected but allows for inspections to be carried out on a random basis.

Owner builders must engage a registered building work supervisor or private certifier to oversee the construction of the building work from commencement to completion. Building owners who have signed a contract with a licensed builder to undertake the building work for them are also encouraged to engage the services of a suitably experienced and qualified person to inspect the building work but it's not mandatory in this circumstance.

At the completion of the building work, an owner builder or licensed builder is required to submit a signed statement of compliance to council within 10 days of the completion of the building work.

The statement must be signed by either a registered building work supervisor or a private certifier.

The South Australian Government website contains comprehensive and useful information relating to building in South Australia: