Traffic Management

There a many local roads under the care and control of the Town of Gawler. Many of these roads have on street parking, signage and physical traffic controls such as kerbs and medians to promote the safe and convenient movement of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.

Lyndoch Road Footpath - Looking West, Murray Street End 20-01-2015

To ensure continued improvement to the local road network and associated management of traffic, the Town of Gawler provides the following traffic management services:

  • Strategic transport planning for the local road network
  • Investigating and implementing traffic control upgrades
  • Processing Traffic Management Plans for events and contractors
  • Responding to traffic and parking complaints
  • Traffic control devices for specific events and road works.

Additional Information

Within the Town of Gawler, the following roads are under the ownership, care and control of the Town of Gawler. Local roads are typically 6 to 8 meters in width with a footpath on one side and property access to residential homes. The road reserve is the a common term used to describe the area of road between property boundaries, and typically includes a footpath, kerbs, road carriageway. The verge is the area of land between the back of the kerb and the property boundary, which may include a footpath and service connections to properties.

For a map of local roads, click HERE.

Any compliments or complaints relating to local roads should be sent to the Town of Gawler by clicking HERE.

Within the Town of Gawler, the following roads are under the care and control of the State Government, Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) via the Commissioner of Highways. Generally DPTI roads are considered to have high traffic volumes and provide direct connection to regions outside of the Town of Gawler.

  • To reference a list of state managed and local government managed roads in South Australia HERE.
  • Roads within the Town of Gawler under the care and control of the State Government can be viewed HERE by the following map.
  • Local Roads can be found via the State Government Property Location Browser interactive map by clicking HERE.
  • Whilst the Town of Gawler can assist with traffic and parking complaints on DPTI roads, Council staff encourage these complaints to be raised with DPTI by clicking HERE.

Road Closures are also a common request from residents and businesses in the local community. These are usually associated with community events and construction activity.

A Temporary Road Closure Application Form can be downloaded, filled out and submitted via email,, or in printed hard copy over the counter at the Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High Street Gawler SA 5118.

If residents are seeking to alter or occupy a road under the care and control of the Town of Gawler, a Section 221 Application form is required to be completed and provided to Council for assessment prior to any works taking place.

A Section 221 Application Form can be downloaded, filled out and submitted via email,, or provided in hard copy to the Customer Service staff at the Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High Street Gawler SA 5118.

The main examples of altering or occupying a Council road include:

  • Requesting a skip bin on a road or verge
  • Tree removal requests on Council land (verge)
  • Installation of vegetation in a road verge during development of a new home / dwelling
  • Use of scissor lifts on a road to install signage on a commercial building
  • Installation of temporary traffic control devices when occupying a road
  • Private pipework on a road
  • Alteration to a roadway to create a driveway (if not part of a Development Approval),
  • Placement of private infrastructure on a road reserve (ie veranda posts, termite stations, etc)
  • Indirect water connections
  • Private property stormwater connections

A non-refundable fee of $82 is also required prior to the Section 221 assessment taking place.  Applicants can pay via credit card using the online form, or if paying by cash, visit the Customer Service staff at the Gawler Administration Centre.

Supporting Documentation

Additional documents may need to be provided to Council relevant to each Section 221 application.  These include:

  • Locality plans showing the location of the site
  • Dimensional works plans showing all features and proposed alteration
  • Traffic Management Plans showing all signage and traffic control devices
  • Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance
    • Note: Council does not require public liability insurance to be attached for verge landscape works by property owners, however all risks and liabilities associated with any claim due to these works remains the responsibility of the property owner in all respects.

Uploading of Supporting Documentation

If the Section 221 application requires the submission of supporting documentation, applicants can use the Council portal to directly upload all of the required documents.

How do I know if my application has been received by Council?

Council staff will send an acknowledgement email to the applicant and provide a Reference Number relative to each individual application.  For updates on the progress of an application, please call Customer Services on 8522 9211 and quoting the reference number is appreciated.

Please note: Council aims to process Section 221 applications within 2 weeks of lodgement of the application with Council.

How do I know my application has been reviewed?

Once Council staff have reviewed the application and an outcome has been confirmed, a formal letter will either be posted or emailed to the applicant.  The detail in the letter will provide the applicant with a Permit Number for the approved works, awareness to review the General Conditions and Provisions on the application form as well as any further Special Conditions required to complete the works.

Works can not begin unless formal approval has been provided to the applicant from Council.

What do I do if I am still unsure of the process?

If applicants are unsure how to proceed, please call Customer Service on 8522 9211 and ask for assistance.  Applicants can also email with the query.

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) provides a list of the classes of heavy vehicles (restricted access vehicles).

While Council is responsible for assessing all requests for over-dimensional and overmass vehicles on its local roads, the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) facilitates the application process for Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Higher Mass Limits (HML) vehicle permits from start to finish.

To apply for a permit, you will need to lodge your application via the NHVR website.

Customer Service Request can be submitted online HERE, via email, contacting Council Customer Service on 8522 9211 or in person at Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High Street, Gawler SA 5118.