There a many local roads under the care and control of the Town of Gawler. Many of these roads have on street parking, signage and physical traffic controls such as kerbs and medians to promote the safe and convenient movement of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.
Lyndoch Road Footpath - Looking West, Murray Street End 20-01-2015
To ensure continued improvement to the local road network and associated management of traffic, the Town of Gawler provides the following traffic management services:
- Strategic transport planning for the local road network
- Investigating and implementing traffic control upgrades
- Processing Traffic Management Plans for events and contractors
- Responding to traffic and parking complaints
- Traffic control devices for specific events and road works.
Within the Town of Gawler, the following roads are under the ownership, care and control of the Town of Gawler. Local roads are typically 6 to 8 meters in width with a footpath on one side and property access to residential homes. The road reserve is the a common term used to describe the area of road between property boundaries, and typically includes a footpath, kerbs, road carriageway. The verge is the area of land between the back of the kerb and the property boundary, which may include a footpath and service connections to properties.
For a map of local roads, click HERE.
Any compliments or complaints relating to local roads should be sent to the Town of Gawler by clicking HERE.
Within the Town of Gawler, the following roads are under the care and control of the State Government, Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) via the Commissioner of Highways. Generally DPTI roads are considered to have high traffic volumes and provide direct connection to regions outside of the Town of Gawler.
- To reference a list of state managed and local government managed roads in South Australia HERE.
- Roads within the Town of Gawler under the care and control of the State Government can be viewed HERE by the following map.
- Local Roads can be found via the State Government Property Location Browser interactive map by clicking HERE.
- Whilst the Town of Gawler can assist with traffic and parking complaints on DPTI roads, Council staff encourage these complaints to be raised with DPTI by clicking HERE.
Road Closures are also a common request from residents and businesses in the local community. These are usually associated with community events and construction activity.
A Temporary Road Closure Application Form can be downloaded, filled out and submitted via email, Council@gawler.sa.gov.au, or in printed hard copy over the counter at the Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High Street Gawler SA 5118.
The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) provides a list of the classes of heavy vehicles (restricted access vehicles).
While Council is responsible for assessing all requests for over-dimensional and overmass vehicles on its local roads, the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) facilitates the application process for Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Higher Mass Limits (HML) vehicle permits from start to finish.
To apply for a permit, you will need to lodge your application via the NHVR website.