Council supports community arts in a number of ways. Some arts initiatives that Council is already supporting and implementing include:
- Gawler Fringe.
- Youth Urban Arts Program.
- Public art - murals, sculptures, mosaics, etc.
- Entrance Statements.
- Grants - Community Grants, Youth Artist Sponsorship Program.
- Support of initiatives such as SALA, Festival of Words, Gawler Biennial Art Award.
- School holiday programs.
- Arts initiatives with local schools.
- The Gawler Arts and Culture Strategy and Public Art Framework.
To further promote art within the community, Council would like to develop exhibition spaces in some Council managed venues. The draft Art Exhibits and Exhibitions in Council Managed Venues’ Policy has been developed to facilitate these spaces. The policy aims to ensure that:
- Various artists and arts groups in our community can participate in utilising the exhibition spaces in an annual exhibition program.
- Accessibility to art is increased for the broader community.
A copy of the policy is available at the Gawler Administration Centre (43 High St, Gawler East) or can be downloaded below.
Council is currently undertaking Stakeholder engagement regarding the draft policy and also welcomes comment from interested members of the community. Comments can be submitted via the following methods:
- Online – below
- Post – PO Box 130 Gawler SA 5118
- Over the counter – Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High St, Gawler East
- E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments must be received by 5pm on Friday 15 June 2018.