Karbeethan Reserve, a 9.96ha sporting precinct located in Evanston Gardens provides:
- sporting infrastructure including; a baseball diamond, a soccer pitch, three additional turfed areas that are utilised for multiple sports, a small clubroom and changing facility;
- a home ground for a number of local sporting clubs and associations; and
- open space for community use.
In February 2018, Council engaged consultants JPE, collaborating with InsideEdge, to undertake the development of a Master Plan for the reserve. Initial consultation with key stakeholders/users of the sporting precinct, State Sporting Organisations, the Department of Education and the Evanston Gardens Primary School has informed the development of the draft plan now being released for broad public consultation.
Key considerations in the development of the Plan have been:
- how the various sporting clubs use the precinct;
- what works well;
- what issues the site currently has;
- key priorities and opportunities for future precinct improvements;
- sport growth projections;
- opportunities for other complimentary sports and active recreation activities to utilise the space;
- improved connectivity; and
- providing increased opportunity for broader community use.
The purpose of the Master Plan is to provide Council with a coordinated and strategic planning approach to allow for the effective and efficient provision, management and development of sport and recreational facilities at the site. The draft plan provides for a staged delivery over the next decade and beyond, including a possible future expansion of the reserve if Council looks to acquire adjoining land, resulting in doubling the size of the reserve to adequately cater for the current and projected demand for existing sports and the surrounding community.
Implementation of the master plan is broken down into four key stages. The first two stages are determined as ‘quick wins’ that can be implemented prior to any expansion taking place includes:
- an upgrade to the existing baseball diamond
- construction of a new shared use clubroom
- upgrading of two soccer pitches; and
- the development of a synthetic soccer pitch and softball diamond.
Later stages include:
- new baseball and softball diamonds:
- construction of a new gymnasium with a view to supporting indoor baseball and softball batting training facilities and may allow for the inclusion of dance sports (e.g. gymnastics, calisthenics and cheerleading) which are growing in popularity and considered complimentary to the sports currently utilising the reserve; and
- installation of a new play space, fitness track and nature trails, along with a new shared community oval on the site are envisaged; and
- additional car parking.
Stages three and four of the Plan require Council to acquire neighbouring land, this expansion will be dependent on future funding opportunities and Council priorities.
The suggested staging of the project is indicative only and will be flexible in delivery, subject to both changes in demand and availability of funding. The draft plan also provides an opportunity for sporting clubs to seek funding and invest in the future of their sports within the footprint of the reserve.
Community members are invited to attend a
Drop-in Community Information Session to be held at Karbeethan Reserve on 23 March 2019 at 10.30 am – 12.30 pm (no bookings required).
Council is seeking your comments on the Draft Karbeethan Reserve Master Plan, please download a brochure, including a copy of the Draft Master Plan for your information (link below) and take the time to complete a short survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r....
Or visit one of the static displays at the following locations to see the Master Plan, collect a brochure and complete the short survey:
- Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High Street, Gawler East
- Gawler Public Library in the Civic Centre, 89-91 Murray Street, Gawler
- Evanston Gardens Community Centre Library, Angle Vale Road, Evanston Gardens
- Gawler Sport and Community Centre , Nixon Terrace, Gawler
Questions on the Draft Master Plan can be submitted through this page or alternatively please contact Bryce Norton, Team Leader Recreation & Community on 08 8522 9282 or email email@example.com
Comments must be received by 5pm on Friday 5th April 2019.
Feedback regarding the Draft Karbeethan Reserve Master Plan can be submitted via the following methods:
- Online – below
- Post – PO Box 130 Gawler SA 5118
- E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
or Over the counter
– Gawler Administration Centre, 43 High St, Gawler East,
- Gawler Public Library,Gawler Civic Centre, 89-91 Murray St, Gawler