The Willaston Cemetery was established in 1866, replacing the original Gawler Cemetery located in the centre of town. It has been the main place of burial for residents from Gawler and the surrounding districts since this time.
The community responded to the Plan by providing comments and submissions during the engagement period in late 2015. Stakeholder groups and organisations such as the Gawler Environment and Heritage Association Inc., National Trust, State Government Heritage Council and Trees for Life were just some stakeholders that had significant input into the Plan.
Following the community engagement process, the Willaston Cemetery Conservation and Management Plan was altered to reflect the community’s views and outcomes. Several action plans have been identified to facilitate the agreed outcomes to better manage the Cemetery and the surrounding native vegetation.